Have you ever attended an “Open House” advertised in your area or in a community you like? Most people have. Even if you’re not serious about moving, viewing a few properties in a neighbourhood you like is a great way to get a sense of the market.
Who knows? You might stumble upon your next dream home!
To get the most out of an open house, follow these guidelines:
- Most open houses will have a handout available containing the list price and other property information. Be sure to keep a copy.
- Don’t just view the rooms. Explore the entire property, including the backyard.
- Don’t be shy about asking the listing agent (or whoever is hosting the open house) questions about the property.
- Ask about the area. Are there schools nearby? Where is the nearest park or playground located?
- Ask about the potential required repairs and renovations. For example, if the furnace is more than 15 years old, it may need to be replaced soon.
- Walk around the neighbourhood. Try to get a sense of what it’s like to live there. If possible, chat with a neighbour.
Finally, if you become interested in the home, be sure to advise the listing agent that your own REALTOR will be following up. Otherwise, the listing agent might assume that he or she will be representing you.
Looking for a good REALTOR to have by your side? Call me 905-914-5302